12 July, 2010

7/5/10 Arrival. //my new HomeTown

New Zealand is like itself. it's not like the people and situations are that different from midtown, just that they're different. and not how I imagined, even though I knew about most of these elements or.... Had seen them in pictures. I had a photographic idea of what New Zealand was like, which is essentially how I have of most things... unless I saw them earlier in my life. I first saw Europe early enough that I don't quite remember what I thought of it before. but this place I have only seen in images before now. it could be explained to me in entire detail, but my idea of it was formed around a hallucination. I mean photographs and videos and writing depend so much more on our imagination than actually being a place, and so much of the world we will only see that way.
but I made it here. I don't know anything to call it besides an alternate reality, entirely its own. New Zealand is like itself.

I'm going to be living in this house with five other people. I've never lived with so many people before. I'm pretty excited, really. never having lived like this before will make it even more different. plus, I'm such a social person, I try to make myself around other people all the time.
we have studio space at art school. I went there today and enrolled and claimed a little corner of the studio. of course, this is second semester that's about to start, so I'm coming in the middle of their school year. I'm excited to have a studio space.

these are all things I could do back in Kansas City, but it wouldn't be quite the same because everything here is slightly different. it's like a dream like that. something's always off. names of things are different, but some are the same... there are so many things here that if I just saw in a dream could make me realize I was dreaming because they'd never happen in Real Life. I prefer dream-life better than waking-life sometimes, just because of the feelings I get when I'm dreaming. I kind of feel equally comfortable here. nothing is unhandlable or too stressful, so far..... but what can I really say about that, I've only been here since Thursday.

I've said several times here that I'm Excited. it's true.


I love the way this house looks. the color combinations are awful and perfect at the same time. the old velveteen couch and the non-working fireplace in my bedroom. the cat stained glass window door. then there's this incredible view out back. there are little locations everywhere that I want to use for photographs.
I admit I am unsure about what I will do for thesis. but everyone here is creative and all very driven with that creativity. I'm sitting next to my “flatmate” who is working on a budget proposal. I'm not very worried about it.

everyone is so nice, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment